The name derives from the Pictish language, and means the “Confluence of Geldie,” a reference to its location near the confluence of River Geldie and River Dee.It was built around 1550 by Sir Alexander Gordon of Midmar, son of the first Earl of Huntly, on grounds acquired by the Gordon family in 1482.
Aboyne Castle (historical name: castrum de Obeyn)
In 1242, after the expulsion from Scotland of John and Walter Byset of Clan Bissett, who had been alleged of the murder of Patrick, Earl of Atholl, at Haddington, East Lothian,Aboyne Castle passed to the Knights Templarin that year. It passed next to the Frasers of Cowie, before passing yet again, this time by marriage, to Sir William de Keith, Great Marischal of Scotland around 1355. In 1449, De Keith’s great granddaughter, Joan, brought the castle by marriage to Alexander Gordon, 1st Earl of Huntly (1449). Its present owner is the Marquis of Huntly whose family has owned it since the early 15th century.
While there is evidence of prehistoric, probably Pictish earthworks in the grounds of the castle, the remains most visible today are of the castle constructed in the mid-15th century by Robert Cochrane (later to become an Earl of Mar (1458–79)). It was passed to the Clan Ogilvy in 1489 and from them to the Clan Gordon in 1535.
An extension is known to have been added in the 16th century by the Gordons before the Ogilvys reclaimed it in 1594, it having been destroyed by the Clan MacKintosh in 1592 in retaliation for the 6th Earl George Gordon, 1st Marquess of Huntly’s killing of The Bonny Earl O’Moray, their ally. Following the Restoration of Charles II, the castle was again awarded to the Marquis of Huntly.
In 1545 George Gordon purchased the land from the Earl of Huntly, and the castle was built before he died in 1575. Two wings were built to the west in 1679, while the original entrance was replaced. The castle was acquired by Alexander Gordon in 1713 and he remodelled it, including first-floor rooms formed from the hall which have since been removed. An interesting wall painting of a woman playing the lute was among paintings discovered during this restoration. The work included introducing bolection-moulded chimney-pieces and coved ceilings.
Cluny Castle was originally built c.1604 as a Z-plan castle replacing either a house or small peel tower. Sited in the parish of Cluny, it is south of Monymusk and north of Sauchen in Aberdeenshire, north-east Scotland. Owned by three separate branches of Gordon families over the centuries, it was used to shelter Jacobite rebels in the mid-18th century. Extensive additions were made in 1820 to the design of architect John Smith when it was in the ownership of Colonel John Gordon. Two wings of the castle and the adjoining private chapel were destroyed by fire in 1926, but the damage was restored.
It is the ancestral home of Lord Byron.It was built in the 16th century by George Gordon, the second laird. It was later occupied by Catherine Gordon Byron, the mother of Lord Byron, but she sold it in 1787 to George Gordon, 3rd Earl of Aberdeen to pay off her debts. It was then occupied by the Earl’s son, George Gordon, Lord Haddo, until the latter’s early death in 1791, since when it has been uninhabited. It was designated a scheduled ancient monument in 1965.
It is said that the ruins are haunted by a piper who disappeared while exploring an underground passageway.
The original castle was built by George Gordon, 2nd Earl of Huntly in the 1470s and enlarged by his grandson.
Architect John Adam was commissioned, alongside the French architect Abraham Roumieu, to redesign the castle in 1764 but this did not come to fruition. Eventually the commission fell to the lesser-known Edinburgh architect, John Baxter, who rebuilt it in 1769 for Alexander Gordon, 4th Duke of Gordon. The central four storey block incorporated a six-storey medieval tower called the Bog-of-Gight, and was flanked by a pair of two-storey wings. The main facade was 568 feet (173 metres) long. Most of the castle has been demolished, but the Bog-of-Gight and one of the wings—now a detached medium sized country house in its own right—survive.
Gordons, who later became the Earls of Aberdeen and Marquesses of Aberdeen, have lived on the site for over 500 years.Haddo House sits in or near the site of the old Kellie Castle, the family’s previous dwelling which was burnt down by the Covenanters and dates from 1732; it was designed by William Adam in the Georgian Palladian style. The interior of the house though is late Victorian in style, having undergone refurbishment in 1880 by Wright and Mansfield. Haddo contains a large art collection, including a series of 85 castles by James Giles, an early work by Claude Lorrain and a Madonna believed to be by Raphael.There are also several portraits of 19th-century British politicians.
Originally named Strathbogie, the castle was granted to Sir Adam Gordon of Huntly in the 14th century. King Robert the Bruce was a guest of the castle in 1307 prior to his defeat of the Earl of Buchan.
It was fired in 1452 by a force under the command of Archibald Douglas, Earl of Moray. In 1449 the king was at war with the powerful Black Douglases, the Gordons stood on the king’s side and, with their men involved in the south of the country, the Earl of Moray, a brother of the Earl of Douglas, took the opportunity to sack the Gordon lands, setting Huntly Castle ablaze. The Gordons returned and quickly destroyed their enemies.
It lies a mile to the south of the village of New Galloway, Scotland’s smallest Royal Burgh and to the north of Loch Ken.
The oldest part of Kenmure Castle dates from the 16th Century and was the seat of the West March Gordons of Lochinvar. The seat of the Laird (Baron, later Viscount) of Lochinvar was at Kenmure (Kenmuir) Castle near New Galloway, the site being occupied from late in the 11th Century until 1900. The real ‘Young Lochinvar’ of Sir Walter Scott’s famous poem was said to be the Laird of Lochinvar, William de Gordon of Kenmure. Unfortunately, there is no evidence to support the story. Sir William Gordon of Lochinvar was laird of Lochinvar and Kenmure, his eldest son being John of Lochinvar, whos mother was known as Joan Stewart the dumb lady. William may have died in 1455, having passed a charter of lands (a will) to his family in 1450. The Gordons of Kenmure were a cadet branch of the Aberdeenshire family, descended from the 14th century Sir Adam Gordon.
Lochinvar is a loch in the civil parish of Dalry in the historic county of Kirkcudbrightshire, Dumfries and GallowayScotland. It is located in the Galloway Hills, around 3.5 miles (5.6 km) north-east of St. John’s Town of Dalry. The loch formerly had an island on which stood Lochinvar Castle, seat of the Gordon family 1297. In the 20th century the loch was dammed to form a reservoir, raising the water level and submerging the island with the ruins of the castle.
by Sir Walter Scott
O young Lochinvar is come out of the west,
Through all the wide Border his steed was the best;
And save his good broadsword he weapons had none,
He rode all unarm’d, and he rode all alone.
So faithful in love, and so dauntless in war,
There never was knight like the young Lochinvar.
He staid not for brake, and he stopp’d not for stone,
He swam the Eske river where ford there was none;
But ere he alighted at Netherby gate,
The bride had consented, the gallant came late:
For a laggard in love, and a dastard in war,
Was to wed the fair Ellen of brave Lochinvar.
So boldly he enter’d the Netherby Hall,
Among bride’s-men, and kinsmen, and brothers and all:
Then spoke the bride’s father, his hand on his sword,
(For the poor craven bridegroom said never a word,)
“O come ye in peace here, or come ye in war,
Or to dance at our bridal, young Lord Lochinvar?”
“I long woo’d your daughter, my suit you denied;—
Love swells like the Solway, but ebbs like its tide—
And now I am come, with this lost love of mine,
To lead but one measure, drink one cup of wine.
There are maidens in Scotland more lovely by far,
That would gladly be bride to the young Lochinvar.”
The bride kiss’d the goblet: the knight took it up,
He quaff’d off the wine, and he threw down the cup.
She look’d down to blush, and she look’d up to sigh,
With a smile on her lips and a tear in her eye.
He took her soft hand, ere her mother could bar,—
“Now tread we a measure!” said young Lochinvar.
So stately his form, and so lovely her face,
That never a hall such a galliard did grace;
While her mother did fret, and her father did fume,
And the bridegroom stood dangling his bonnet and plume;
And the bride-maidens whisper’d, “’twere better by far
To have match’d our fair cousin with young Lochinvar.”
One touch to her hand, and one word in her ear,
When they reach’d the hall-door, and the charger stood near;
So light to the croupe the fair lady he swung,
So light to the saddle before her he sprung!
“She is won! we are gone, over bank, bush, and scaur;
They’ll have fleet steeds that follow,” quoth young Lochinvar.
There was mounting ’mong Graemes of the Netherby clan;
Forsters, Fenwicks, and Musgraves, they rode and they ran:
There was racing and chasing on Cannobie Lee,
But the lost bride of Netherby ne’er did they see.
So daring in love, and so dauntless in war,
Have ye e’er heard of gallant like young Lochinvar?